Thursday, May 28, 2009

Harry Potter Wisdom

Living in Alaska can often feel quite isolating when you are not a fundamentalist Christian or far right leaning Republican. Sometimes change and understanding seem so far away and unattainable. Recently, I found some consolation in the following discussion between Harry Potter and Luna Lovegood from the Order of the Phoenix movie. The movie is based on the children's novel of the same name by J.K. Rowling.


Luna Lovegood: [about her father] We believe you, by the way. That He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named is back, and you fought him, and the Ministry and the Prophet are conspiring against you and Dumbledore.
Harry Potter: Thanks. Seems you're about the only ones that do.
Luna Lovegood: I don't think that's true. But I suppose that's how he wants you to feel.
Harry Potter: What do you mean?
Luna Lovegood: Well if I were You-Know-Who, I'd want you to feel cut off from everyone else. Because if it's just you alone you're not as much of a threat.




This reminds me not to despair and and to take heart. I remember there are supportive and loving people who are thoughtful and fair minded. I am thankful they are here for me during the times when living in Alaska can be most challenging.

No comments:

Post a Comment